Sunday, December 22, 2013

Reverence...

I was up early this morning, and out plowing snow, as we're getting blasted with 6-9" of the white stuff. When I came in I flipped on the TV and poured a cup of coffee, then set down to relax. There was a Catholic service on, and they were doing Communion. I often watch or try to experience different services, and try to keep an open mind towards other religions that differ from my personal beliefs... 
The thought that went through my mind as I watched was how regimented and formal their service is- even their prayers were written out and read- there didn't seem to be any of the intimacy, the personal relationship that I enjoy with my Lord. I found myself feeling sad, for what I thought they were lacking. Yet, at the same time I recognized the reverence and awe they displayed that is sometimes lacking in more "intimate" services I've experienced...
I'm glad I have an intimate, personal relationship with my Lord, but this morning I was reminded that He still demands reverence, awe, when I come to Him... I have heard it preached that we should be intimate, for as our example Jesus Christ prayed, "Abba, Father", which translates "daddy"... Yet, upon deeper research, it really doesn't translate "daddy" at all, Rather the translation is "Father". Three times this term is used in the New Testament, this Aramaic word in the Greek text, and in all three cases it is immediately followed by the Greek term for "Father"... While "Abba" may be more intimate in Judaism it is still a respectful term of "Father"...  
Father, please remind me, as I come to you intimately, to give you the proper reverence you demand and deserve...

Food for thought...

No comments: