Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Uncle Hack, This One's For You...

My mom is the youngest of six children- Hack, Jack, and Mack, Mary, Katy, and my mom, Becky. Only Mom and Aunt Katy remain, but memories of my aunt and uncles often warmly resonate in my mind. One such memory involved my Uncle Hack, named after my grandfather, Haskell Hall. Anyway, my Uncle Hack loved science fiction. Even as a child I was an avid reader and on one trip to Eau Claire, Wisconsin, when I was perhaps ten years old, to visit my Aunt Dale and Uncle Hack we shared our love of reading, Uncle Hack had many many books around, mostly his science fiction paperbacks. Uncle Hack gave me some of his books to read, if I wanted, and I was lost for the weekend. It was a series about a Professor Jameson, who sent his body into space upon his death and was found some 40 million years later by an advanced race who revived his brain and placed it in a metal body. Thus started his adventures. I was fascinated and read five of the six novels that weekend! But the trip ended, and I never read that last novel, never finished learning the fate of Professor Jameson. My Uncle passed away, I never returned to his home and his books, and for some forty plus years I've wondered how the story ends.
Uncle Hack, you'll be glad to know I will wonder no more. After countless attempts to find these books from the 1960's, after hours of perusing used book stores, flea markets, the internet, et al, I have located all six books and will now get to finish the adventure! I hope the story lives up to the anticipation of some forty years of curiosity. But no matter how the story ends, I have you to thank for starting it. You are missed, Uncle Hack, and loved. And now I have a book to read. This one's for you Uncle!
Food for thought...

No comments: