Saturday, May 19, 2007

True riches...

As I reflect on riches of this world, and on how so often we are driven by desire for possessions, I came to realize how rich I am becoming, for I am aquiring something special, something money cannot buy, something that is truly priceless, and dear to all. And I am learning to aquire it, though it may be one of the toughest commodities to obtain. I am learning to aquire time, or more specifically, free time.Life has a way of exacting a very heavy toll on our time, and we all seem to fall into the same trap; if we can only move faster then we can do more. If we can only do more we will be happy, fulfilled. But it's a lie, for the more driven we are the more hurried we feel. But learning to appreciate time, to take control of our moments, to learn to be time-rich brings about a sense of fulfillment. We take control, we own our lives, and our time again. We learn to live in the moment. Carl Jung said hurry is not of the devil, hurry is the devil.
Today I spent some of my time, time to rest, time to relax, time to kayak for the first time this season. I did a little work, but I also took today as a day to enjoy time. I soaked in the hot tub. I watched a movie. I built a fire and read my book for an hour or so on my new deck tonight, by firelight, with Mozart playing softly in the background. Tonight I enjoyed my riches. It was a great day, and night...

No comments: