Thursday, May 28, 2009

Love vs Geography...

A friend recently wrote me that her "Physics teacher tried to tell me love is geographical. I challenged him on that, and spent many years trying to prove him wrong." I gave this alot of thought as I was out mowing the grass today. I found that I could make a convincing argument for either position and that left me feeling very dissatisfied... So I removed myself from the argument and examined the merits of each viewpoint to see if I could reach a conclusion in my own mind. These are my thoughts:

I don't believe that "love" is geographical. I believe we can find that special person, that connection, that chemistry anywhere or anytime. Love is not bound by time, space, or distance. The concept of love comes directly from God, for it is the very definition of God ("God is love"). The concept, like God, is infinite, and is not bound by finite boundaries that limit us. I also believe that while love is not geographical, when we experience love with another person that geography definitely plays a role in the growth and health of that love, because, unlike God's love for us, we are bound by finite limitations. Love needs to be fed, to be nurtured, and that is done by giving it our attentions, by speaking our partner's love language. Distance prohibits the personal attention that the healthy growth of love requires... So the reality is, love with another person is not geographical, but for it to grow, to be a healthy, vibrant entity in our lives, we need connection, and that requires a geographical closeness because we have finite limitations. A starved relationship is ultimately a dead one...

With that said I examined my last significant relationship, which was somewhat of a long-distance relationship, although unique in many ways. I think that possibly this very concept played into the demise of the relationship, for my partner was very closed off emotionally. As I mowed today I couldn't help but wonder if the fear of the distance played into her inability to open up, to be willing to be vulnerable. I heard a number of times, "I wish you were closer; I wish you were here tonight"... Perhaps if we were closer the relationship might have grown in a different manner than it did, which ultimately starved... (I don't pretend to have the answers for all long-distance relationships, I can only venture a viewpoint based on my experiences)... Food for thought...

No comments: