Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Faster than the Speed of Light...

It's been a while, but good to be back...

I enjoy mowing the grass, for it is almost always a time of reflection, sometimes of abstract thinking... I had an epiphany the other day, while mowing.

We often think of the speed of light as that fastest speed possible, that 186,282 miles per second. Some speculate that to reach or exceed the speed of light could possible stop or reverse time itself. I don't know about that, but to realize, as I gaze into the heavens and realize that, despite light traveling at such a speed, it takes years upon years for the light of those stars to reach me. As I look at the stars it is entirely possible that many of those very stars have burned out and I'm really staring at a cosmic graveyard. I'm actually marveling at the past, for those stars in their present state are a mystery to us...


There is something that is faster than the speed of light however. It moves so fast that it is literally instantaneous- given and received simultaneously. What is so speedy? Love. As fast as I can show it to you you can feel it, can experience it if you're open to it's possiblity. Love was, love is, love will be. We don't fully understand it, but we desire it, we crave it, we seek it out. Love fulfills us, it warms us, it satisfies us. Love is all powerful, for it is the very essence of God. God is Love (I John 4:8). God, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-seeing, all-encompassing, is love. Love is what satisfied His perfect need for justice; love is the essence that redeemed mankind and reestablished community with God. It's no wonder we seek it with all our heart... Food for thought...

No comments: