Thursday, September 30, 2010

I was grocery shopping last week when I bumped into a couple who attends my church. Now we go way back, some twenty years or more, when I used to pitch for a church softball team and he was my catcher. We chatted a few minutes, exchanging pleasantries and catching up on things, then I went on my way. A couple of days later I received a call.

It was from my old friend, who told me he had a friend in need and, after running into me at the store, thought he might put the two of us together... This new guy had no job, was looking for a place to live, and really had no where to turn. My friend knew that, in the past, I've given people help, jobs, and even allowed some to live in my home, so he called...

Now I must be honest- more often than not I've been severly disappointed when helping people. I've had my business robbed twice (by a "Christian" man I employed when he was down and out), my home has been robbed, personal items, money stolen- well, you get the picture. At first, I told my friend I'd give it some thought, but after a couple of days I called and passed on helping him. Smart, right?

I don't think so... I really could find any justification in the Scriptures to validate my decision. I did find time and again where we're supposed to help those in need, those less fortunate than ourselves. And I came to this realization- Helping others really doesn't have anything to do with the way I feel. If I wait until I "feel" good about doing something then I may never act. If I wait for that ideal time, or the perfect circumstance, then I may never help another again. Instead, I must sieze the moment, must act courageously, despite my feelings, or busyness, or fear of disappointment. god doesn't call me to act when it feels right to me, or when I have time, or because it makes me feel good to do so- no, God just calls me to act. Period.

To act regardless might be viewed as foolhardy by most people today. I believe to act shows courage, and boldness, to trust God for the eventual outcome... Henri Nouwen once prayed: "Let me have the courage to live fully even when it's risky, vibrantly even when it leads to pain, and spontaneously even when it leads to mistakes". Lord help me to act in Your time, and not when it's convenient for me... Food for thought...

No comments: