Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Value of Disappointment

I met my folks for lunch today and, through the course of the meal conversation, a thought struck me. I realized that disappointment is really unrealized expectations. My initial conclusion to my thoughts was that no expectations equals no disappointment. No expectations, no disappointment. But developing my thought train more fully I realized that that would be a terrible way to live. We need expectations if we ever expect to fulfill any goals we might set in life. And so, we also need disapointment, for it is the emotional guage that notifies us when we fall short, when we need to readjust, re-evaluate, or revamp our drive or our goals... Imagine living a life without goals- just drifting day to day, merely exisiting, with no drive or desire for betterment, for that in itself is a goal... Just putting in our time... I don't think I could ever live that way, for I need things, or goals, to drive me, to motivate me, to give each day purpose... I guess I've condemned myself to a life of potential disappointment...


Relationally, however, I think perhaps I will adapt this idea somewhat- I think I have had expectations in my relationships in the past and definitely had disappointments. Perhaps from a realtional standpoint I will expect nothing, at least initially, and perhaps I won't be disappointed so readily... Food for thought...


(This a a picture of my new Grill- I have to learn how to use it because so far things taste crappy)...

No comments: