Monday, November 08, 2010

A Tribute...

Back in 1986 I was a brash, confident, 20-something young man, two years employed at the business I now own. The previous owner hired an old friend of his- a 55 year old semi-retired guy who'd sold his business and was looking for something to fill his days. Our early days were somewhat confrontational, for he was under the impression he was brought in to "run the place" and that was a direct affront to my authority, for I felt I ran the place. Though early indications pointed to little likelihood that we could co-exist we somehow defied the odds and actually developed a strong friendship.

My friend, Don, taught me much about people and life, and I owe him an awful lot for my later successes in life, and particularly in dealing with people. Though I learned much the greatest lesson I believe I learned from Don was that everyone comes with their own unique baggage. No one is perfect and before I trash a relationship I should weigh all the good of a person against the bad, If the good outweighs the bad then perhaps the relationship (or employee) is worth salvaging, for trashing one person for another was just trading one set of baggage for another. That taught me tolerance for the faults of others, and gave me an awareness of my own shortcomings...

My relationship with Don lasted twenty-four years, almost a quarter of a century, through many good times and a few bad ones. Tonight I offically ended that relationship, telling my old friend goodbye after all these years of working together, for my friend passed away this past weekend, and tonight was his visitation. I can't imagine my company without him, or life without arguing politics or religion with him. Tonight I say goodbye My Friend, for you are loved, and will be missed, for you are irreplaceable in my heart. Though we had differences in beliefs and philosophies I hope to one day see you again on the other side. Vaya con Dios, Don, go with God.

No comments: