Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chicago Bears lose- But I Win!

My Chicago Bears lost today, to their arch-rivals the Green Bay Packers. I watched the game with a friend, and we cheered, and groaned, and lived vicariously through our fallen heroes. I couldn't help but remember the week of hype we went through- the news stories in the newspaper, the nightly TV reports, the stories of fan loyalty and even some violence as people defended "their" teams.

You know, when I stop and remember that these teams are grown men, paid millions of dollars, to play a kid's game a lot of the importance seems to wither and fade in light of things in life that really matter. It really makes all the hoopla seem pretty silly, and feeling bad over a loss by one team or another is pretty ridiculous. I didn't make millions of dollars, nor did I win or lose a game. I'm merely a spectator, cheering and hoping for a winning result, but when the game is over my life carries on, win or lose. My life isn't dramatically affected with a win or a loss.


So tonight I reflect on my Chicago Bears. You lost my friends, and I wish you had won, but I don't feel badly, like I may have in the past. Your loss is part of your life, and you are living the fantasy; being obscenely paid to play a kid's game, your finacial life secure. Win or lose you will go on and play another day. You won't have to get up every day and work like hundreds of millions of others just to make ends meet, you won't have to worry about how the economy will affect your livelihood, for your country is filled with suckers who continue to pay their hard-earned dollars to watch you play. We work, you play. I don't feel bad anymore. So guess what? I think that means whether you win or lose, I've grown up, I've grown past allowing your success or failure to help define my happiness. So I win!


Food for thought...

No comments: