Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's all about Attitude...

Some time back my daughter had some friends over and one of them spilled some soda. I proceeded to clean it up while she apologized profusely. I assured her it was just an accident, to which she replied that her dad would have gotten all upset. I told her that all getting upset does is to drain me emotionally, and an accident isn't worth that. My daughter then commented, "Dad wasn't always like that. He's pretty cool that way now". I was surprised and somewhat flattered that she'd paid attention...
Yesterday was a real test to my philosophy that accidents aren't worth getting upset over. I am doing a little painting around the house and while painting the trim around my deck door I tripped over the almost full paint can and fell, also knocking the paint can over- on my expensive oriental rug... I almost got upset, but decided my time was better suited to getting up the paint and trying to save the rug. After about an hour's work, in which I pretty much covered myself in ultra-white trim paint, I was satisfied that the rug was okay and I was too. I returned to my painting and climbed my little step-stool to paint above the door- forgetting a very important fact- and promptly stuck my head into the twirling ceiling fan. A couple of sharp blows to my temple and back of the head sent me tumbling off the stool to the floor once again... Not a good night by anyone's standards. But I didn't get upset. I just decided the house looked good enough for now and put in a movie and sat back in the recliner...
So this morning I came in and found I had little smudges of paint to clean off the recliner. I guess I should have thought and changed out of my paint-covered painting clothes before getting comfy. Okay, if this day continues like yesterday I may give in to those baser desires and really get upset! I hope not, 'cause I believe the quality of life is so dependent on attitude, and the better our attitude the better life looks. Our situation is often defined by the attitude we approach it with. It's all about attitude...

No comments: