Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Pain of Morphing...

There's Something about getting old that doesn't agree with me. For some odd reason I don't rebound like I used to, physically that is, and it is really irritating to me. In the old days, the days of my youth, I could sprain, break, twist, or otherwise  hurt myself and be healed up and playing ball again well before the Doctor said... Sure, I was accussed of coming back too soon, and maybe on more than one occassion, and I was warned that I very well may pay the price later, but I was always determined to be a quick healer... Once a doctor even told me if I was walking at age 35 it would be due to miracles of medicine. Well Doc, guess what? I've passed 50 several years ago and not only am I walking, but still playing ball- and well! At least until this spring.
Now I'm recovering from a double broken ankle, and it is so frustrating. I was told to expect to be 6-8 weeks in a cast (it took seven), and another 3-4 rehabbing in physical therapy. Okay, enough's enough. It's been a month and I still hurt, still swollen, still difficult to walk. Where's the quick heal? Did age finally catch up? Monday the Doctor released me and said I'm on my own now, but there will be pain and swelling "for a long time"... What's up with that? I can't believe it's taking me the "average" time to heal... Well, to all you family and friends who have patiently waited for Father Time to catch up to me, to tell me "ha ha" or "I told you so" your time has come. I am human. I am sadly, weakly unable to heal like I used to. I guess I'm going to have to "be more careful, 'cause I'm not a young man anymore". Boy it hurts to sat that!

No comments: