Sunday, May 08, 2011

Where's my patience?

Patience, perhaps the hardest thing in the world for me, and I don't think I'm alone with this problem... My mom, whom I love with all my heart, worries about me. She worries about me being alone, about my happiness. She told me, a couple of months ago, to be patient, to wait upon the Lord to bring the right woman into my life. It's not that I'm skeptical, for I believe He can and will answer her prayers, it's that I'm not very patient.
I read in the Bible about David, Moses, Isaiah, Micah, Paul, and so many more giants of my faith, who admonish me to wait upon the Lord, or, to be patient for Him to work in His time. I read in Jerimiah where God says, "I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart". (Jerimiah 29:11-13). So if God has my best at heart, if all I have to do is seek Him and wait on Him, why is it so hard?
I think perhaps it is because I'm still too focused on me, on my desires, my wants. Perhaps it's because I haven't learned to trust Him enough to allow Him to hold my heart. Perhaps I'm too afraid to let go. Funny how those very issues we often have with others come back to haunt our relationship with God. In a word, it's baggage. Trust is my issue, for I've been burned in every serious relationship I've been in with women. From infidelity to lies to stealing from me- trust is a fragile thing in my life. And so, that's the very area my relationship is attacked... How about you? Where do you find yourself vulnerable, for that's where you will be attacked too...
So what do I do? How do I learn patience? I think I can only immerse myself in Him, allow Him to work on my weakness, to grow in my faith and perhaps my ability to be patient will grow too... I have no answers, just a hope that my faith grows... So Mom, for you on this Mother''s Day, I say this: I will continue to try and wait patiently on the Lord, for that special lady you've been praying for. Thank you for caring, for loving me so much... Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: