Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I've been without my computer for a week or so, after knocking it off the couch and shattering the screen. I was under a full warranty (or so I thought) until calling Dell to get it fixed and learning my "Complete Care Warranty" wasn't such complete care because my "base warranty" had expired a month earlier. What a con job by the Dell technician who sold me that warranty... So Dell refunded the cost of their bogus warranty and offered me a hundred dollar discount to fix my screen (they estimated a total cost of $300-400 depending on shipping). I found an aftermarket screen on line and fixed it myself for less than $100. Thanks Dell. I'm sure gonna be "recommending" you and your services!

Anyway, I realized once again how dependent we become on out "technology", whether it be computer, cell phone, i-pad, or whatever. I think we're losing something very important when we feel we have to be "plugged in" all the time. It is important to disconnect occasionally, to get back in touch with nature, to experience solitude. Saturday I took time to leave all cell phones, computers, kindles behind and just spend several hours out on the lake in my canoe, watching the new-born baby ducklings follow mama, seeing the fish jump, the hawks circle, the geese swim... We all need a reminder occasionally of the beauty of life happening all around us as we fly through our days... Life is what's happening today as we plan and work for tomorrow... Food for thought...

No comments: