Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Beyond the Fourth Deminsion...

In high school I had an English teacher who introduced me to the author Louis L'Amour, a mostly western writer, but one who wasn't afraid to explore outside the box. One of his books, The Haunted Mesa, was based on the Anastasi Indian legend that they came into this world from a hole in the ground, supposedly from another dimension. Now, when I was young I was taught that we live in a three dimensional world, and then at some point later "time" became the fourth dimension. The idea of another dimension, co-existing with our own, and at some point intersecting or interacting with our own was intriguing...
Yet these many years later that book has inspired my thinking outside of conventional thought, especially in light of my Western Judeo-Christian up-bringing. We were taught that when we die we will either "go up to Heaven" or "down to hell", depending on our faith, beliefs, and life. I often wondered where "up there" Heaven could be- beyond the furthest reaches of our solar system perhaps? It seemed awfully far away, especially when we were taught that God was near, in control, and watching out for his children. How so, from way "up there?" And conversely, where is hell? where is "down there"?
I'm finding, with age and study, that which I accepted so blindly when younger doesn't always fit with what I learn today. I do believe that God watches over his children, for the Bible tells me so, and I believe in the sanctity of the Bible.  I also believe God is near, not far away "up there" somewhere. So how does Jesus live in Heaven while his Holy Spirit is here? Here's a hypothesis: Heaven is right here, nearby, just another dimension that we do not see or understand. I believe that Heaven intersects with earth regularly, as God is constant contact with his creation. One day, and only God knows that day, He will set this creation right, cleanse it of its sin and evil and reunite it with heaven- the doors to that co-existent dimension will be opened to his creation.
There's a lot of talk among Christians that we may very well be in the end times, but again, only God knows the day. Early Christ-followers prayed for Jesus' return, and now some 2000 years later we still hope and pray for his return. Peter writes in his second book that "with God a thousand years are like a day, and a day is like a thousand years". Many interpret that to say that it may be a long time before Christ's return; I believe it is just more evidence that God in his Heaven that is all around us, is not bound by time or space. As his created we are bound by our four dimensions- He operates outside any boundaries, for he is the Uncreated. And one day he will cleanse this earth-not destroy it!- and open our eyes and senses to his world co-existing all around us... Beyond the fourth dimension...
Food for thought...

No comments: