Sunday, July 14, 2013

Mind vs Emotion- The Battle Rages On...

I've been reminded a lot lately about things I've written in the past so I thought I better refresh myself by doing a little reading. I ran across this tonight...
Emotions are a real conundrum, for we rely on our feelings to guide us, yet there is nothing more unstable, and often faulty as our emotions. All too often we act, not on logic or fact, but on our feelings. We do what feels right, we get in relationships because it feels rights, or we act because our "gut" tells us to. Sometimes we get pensive, even afraid to act, even though logic dictates that is the correct choice. Sometimes we are ambushed by our feelings...

I find myself even today ambushed by my feelings. For some time I've been seeing someone who is quite wonderful actually. We enjoy many of the same activities, we enjoy each other's company, we seem to fit quite well in each other's worlds. The problem is that from the very beginning there have also been differences, red flags if you will, that have left me feeling that this is not a "forever thing". We've had frank discussions about them, and even there we have differences, for they were red flags to me, not as important issues to her.
Now I find our relationship at a crossroads, for I have decided to sell out of my business and move down to Florida. Naturally enough this has caused stress in the relationship. The problem is that any time the issue comes up it causes hurt to her, and subsequently I feel badly, guilty. I don't want to hurt her, and I sure don't want to feel bad... Ideally it would be wonderful to continue to enjoy our friendship, our relationship in the time I have left here, but the reality is the closer we get to fruition the harder, more painful it becomes. The logical thing to do is try to minimize the pain and damage now, rather than continue and deal with on-going and increased pain and issues. The head says stop now, end the relationship to minimize the heartache; the heart says continue on because the desire to see each other is still there and so strong.
I am ambushed by my emotions, for they contradict the logical. My heart versus my head. Knowing what's right and doing it are sometimes two different things. And it doesn't make it easier knowing she doesn't want to stop either, and continues to push to continue despite the pain it is sure to cause. What is one to do? In the end, it seems that logic is again the right choice. Am I strong enough to act?
Can I remember my own words from days past?
Food for thought...

No comments: