Monday, September 09, 2013

I am an Island...

Sometimes we hear a song and it just seems to strike a chord, or ring true to life... Today I heard an old favorite, from the early days of Simon and Garfunkel, and it seemed to now define me. ..

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

Sometimes I feel that I am an island, but I know it's an island of my own making- Life is choice, and right now, at this chapter of my life, this is my choice, and who knows what's best for me better than me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People think they know what's best for themselves all the time. The answer to "who knows best for me".. is not "me" as you said, it's God. And what your Island blog describes is not what God wants or intends for anyone. It's what you are creating, to remove yourself from the world because being out there is too tough. You seem to enjoy being an island and telling people that you are. Like it sets you apart and makes you special. God would say "fight it and join again with my other believers to conquer your fears and become whole." as God intended. It is possible. WE are not the best judge of what is best for us whether it be long term or short term. I've never read that God would be happy with all the things you have described here and the way you are obviously feeling and living now. You sound like you are doing what feels good to you and I bet you have given away much in your life that was given to you to go down these wormholes. Good luck my friend.

Bud said...

Thanks for taking time to comment. Please keep in mind I was quoting a song by Simon and Garfunkel and said it struck a chord... But clearly you not only know me better than I know myself, you also claim to know what God would say to me! Wow. You are connected Anonymous.
I know God knows what is best for me, far better than I do, but also far, far better than you know what's best for me.. God did say, "Judge not lest you be judged, For the very thing in which you cast judgment you too shall be guilty." Interesting, no?