Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Cult of Catholicism...

So there's rumblings of changes in the Catholic church... There's talk of revisiting the celibacy issue for priests (which, personally, I believe is not a scriptural basis for priesthood- rather a manmade regulation). There's the Pope's shake up of the Roman Vatican... And now, there's a "new" stand by the Church as to the requirements to get into heaven...

""The Catholic Church is basically saying there are people through grace who can come through. Whether or not it's through Jesus … they can still make it to heaven."

Wow. Where in Scripture does it say this!? Matthew records Jesus telling the people that the "wide gate and broad road leads to destruction" and the "narrow road leads to life." Clearly, in his teaching Jesus teaches, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6). Seems pretty clear cut to me. No one gets to heaven except through Jesus.

In college one of my good friends was raised a Catholic, and although a born-again Christian still was a pretty staunch defender of Catholicism. We had some pretty spirited debates, initially began by my comment that Catholicism was the world's largest cult. I challenged him to show me where the Bible says I need to go to a priest, a man, for absolution of my sin when Jesus clearly stated he was my high priest to the Father. I can go directly to him... There were other issues, other discussions, but in the end if a religious group believes that which is contrary to the Bible, then it is a cult. And  this latest "statement of belief" from the head of the Catholic church is clearly contradictory to the Holy Scriptures.
Food for thought...

No comments: