Friday, November 22, 2013

Tranquility, and other random thoughts...

It's a hectic and ever-changing, fast-paced world out there, and sometimes we need to pull back and find some tranquility, some peace to re-center ourselves. Duc de La Rochefoucauld (or the Duke of Rochefoucauld, a French line of dukes dating back to the 10th century, so I'm not sure which to credit) once said, "When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere." It really doesn't matter whether it was said last week or last century, it is a truth that transcends the ages. Peace comes first from within. Peace, tranquility, is found in solitude, but today people are more and more afraid to slow down and discover the benefits of solitude. Personally, I think they are all too often afraid that who they discover when alone is not the person they desire to be... Solitude has a way of stripping away all the false veneers society coats us with and revealing the stark essence of who we are. And that can be a scary thing...

On another topic, we often find ourselves stealing time from those who love us because we are trying to please those who care about us the least. Why is it that we tend to treat those closest to us so poorly sometimes? Is it because we are secure in their love and ultimate forgiveness? I see people trying to please strangers, while ignoring those who love them and crave their attentions. One of the greatest blessings I've found is spending time with my parents. As they grow older (now in their mid 70's) I realize that our time is limited, and each visit is a chance to make a memory. Conversely, they constantly express how much they enjoy my dropping in once or twice week, and encourage me to do so even more. Isn't that time better spent than trying to please someone who really doesn't care about me? That's some food for thought...

Another axiom it pays us all to remember is that it takes years to build up trust, but only seconds to destroy it. Trust is one of those things in our lives that we need to protect, like our hearts, as precious and irreplaceable. When we destroy trust, especially in an intimate relationship, it can be rebuilt, but it will never be as strong as it was prior to destroying it.  Rebuilt trust is a fragile thing...

Here's a thought- if you find yourself on the edge of a cliff, the best way to move forward is to back up. Sometimes we are so stubborn about reversing ourselves that we remain in peril, we tightrope along the edge of a cliff, rather than backing up and re-evaluating the situation and trying to find a better course of action...

Lastly, keep a sense of humor, especially about ourselves. Taking ourselves too seriously is killer, while a good sense of humor is money in the bank. A good attitude can often control a situation that you have no hope of controlling. I have a note on my bulletin board in my office to remind me of just that. It says, "I cannot control other people or circumstances, I can only control my reaction to it."
Food for thought...

No comments: