Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bridging the Congressional Aisle...

A friend stopped in today and asked for my thoughts on the Obama Inaugural speech. My thoughts were initially much the same as those of many of the GOP leadership- long on "lofty", short on sspecifics, and completely devoid of any attempt to reach out to the "Republicans", those Obama clearly portrays as his political "enemies". As I reflected on it I was asked how I would attempt to solve this grid-lock problem, if I were president.

My response was simply this- it has to be more than lip service. If I were president my first task would be to tell my vice-president that, as president of the Senate, it is now his job to integrate both parties together. I would suggest that there is no more "Democratic" side, or "Republican" side of the aisle. Instead seat senators alphabetically by state. You might sit next to a republican, you might sit next to a democrat, but bottom line is the parties would be dispersed among each other.

I would go to the Speaker of the House and suggest a similar plan for the House. Once everyone was intermixed I would address both houses and say: "It is time to forget whether you are a Republican or a Democrat for today we are all here elected as Americans. We have issues that face our nation that can only be resolved by working together. So vote your heart, not your party, and we can achieve great things together. We can find solutions for our problems, through negotiation and compromise, if we only determine to work together. So leave party affliation on the campaign trail, or at least at the door, and let's step forward together and show those who elected us that their votes were not cast in vain!"

I dare say, it would at least show some in Congress that the spirit is willing- something this President can never hope to achieve, for he has demegoged his political "enemies", ridiculed them, blamed them, and thrown them under the bus too mant times to ever hope to achieve or show (on his part) a spirit of willingness and compromise. It is the difference between serving our country humbly, accepting the challenge to conquer the enormous task at hand in the best interests of our country, and "serving" his term as an entitled and arogant dictator, (repeatedly snubbing his nose at the Constitution), that he's shown himself to be. Thank God for term limits...

Food for thought...

No comments: