Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Buried Treasure...

Last night my daughter came home and began questioning me on my life (specifically, my love life. A bit of role reversal, but we're close, and we talk...). I told her I was content to wait on God to bring whoever he wanted in my life in his time. Her response was pretty profound, (or so I thought). She said, "Daddy, bury yourself in the heart of God, so whoever she is will have to seek Him to find you."
Wow. That was even deep for me. But the truth of her words have rung in my heart since she uttered them so sweetly and innocently to me last night. Bury myself in the heart of God. I think of David, who wrote so any laments, so many songs of anguish, and yet repeatedly writes of finding his shelter in the Most High... Kind of like burying himself in the heart of God... Under the shelter of His wings (Ps 61:4), In the shelter of his tabernacle (Ps 27:5), The shelter of His presence (Ps 31:20), but always in Him, buried deep, and safe, despite life's tumult...
I sometimes wonder why it is so easy to lose focus, to get caught up in the temperal worries of this world, this life, and then I realized, it is because we are emotional creatures. When God desired community, when he created man and wanted man to freely choose him, to freely love him he made us emotional. Yet, because of sin, the very thing that allows us to feel, to love, to experience the greatest joy of joys now is the greatest detractor to maintaining our focus on God and community with him. Emotion, specifically negative emotions, detract us. Fear, worry, anxiety, anger, lust, misplaced desire... We worry about what happened yesterday, what is happening today, what tomorrow will bring; we are afraid of losing what we have, not having enough, how to make ends meet, we're anxious about everything, angry at others, relationships, friends, co-workers, family... We want what we don't have, we want things we know is wrong, we lose focus...
And yet God is clear; "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt 6:28-34 (NIV)

Bury myself in God's heart, let him supply all my needs, and wants, and desires as he's promised, and rid myself of worry, and stress, and learn to be content in my circumstances, for God is in control... I think I'll start digging a little deeper, burying myself... You know where to find me...
(PS. The picture is of my daughter and I... I always was a sucker...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend, what an adorable daughter and I would have expected nothing less! Beyond the temporal worries...is it not possible perhaps in setting our personal boundaries and somehow in our brain consciously and unconsciously defining conditions and traits (physical, age, etc.)on what is and is not acceptable, precluding negative human traits and behavior or abuse of course, that we sometimes might miss what is there perhaps in front of us?

I am relatively sure I may have a time or two in life. I'd like to think that love has no boundaries, but we all know that isn't really true...we all have "conditions" some are just greater or smaller than others' conditions might be.

C

Bud said...

Dear Cara,
You may never realize how timely and true your words were here today. They came at a very critical time in a personal situation (concerning my daughter). When I read her your words they were indeed helpful and impacting. Thank-you for sharing, yet again. I am indebted...

Bud