Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ponderings...


For most of us, we have no idea who we are. I don't mean exactly right this minute, I mean within the context of history. Today we've lost the extended family, for the most part, and our nuclear family is often decimated by divorce, or family break downs, and the greatest loss we have is our sense of who we are from a historical perspective. We've lost our history, our heritage, and with it, our pride. I live day by day, seldom pondering the richness of my heritage, rarely appreciating the sacrifices of my forefathers.

Tonight I was reading through some of my geneology, and I have much to be grateful for, much to be proud of. I'm sure everyone has their scoundrel or two, but likewise they have those who they can stand tall and be proud... George Washington named Fort Ashbey (Va.) after Captain John Ashbey, my forefather. Another of my ancestors, Thomas Dudley, was the Governor of Massachusetts and founder of Harvard University. My Great-great-great grandfather Payton Ashbey married Louisa Crow, a Cherokee Indian, and wasn't allowed to be buried in the family cemetary because of it. My 4th Great-grandfather, Matthew Rogers, is mentioned in Abraham Lincoln's biography as one of his favorite preachers. I have forefathers that have fought for and defended this country all the way back to the Revolutionary War. There are so many more men of note, of character, in my past.

In fact, even prior to the settlement of this country, I can trace my roots back, specifically to England, to the reign of Queen Mary, to the year 1555 AD. Queen Mary had banished the Gospel in England, yet a Protestant preacher named John Rogers continued to preach. Ultimately he was arrested and tried, and given the opportunity to recant his faith and embrace Catholisim, yet he refused. On February 4th, 1555, John Rogers was burned at the stake, becoming the first martyr during the reign of Queen Mary. Over four hundred and fifty years later, here I am. I am his 12th great-grandson.

Tonight I am proud, not of myself, or my accomplishments, but of my family, not just current, but of past. For my blood runs rich on the sacrifices of those gone before. I wonder if my children ever stop to wonder, to ponder, to appreciate their heritage? So much is lost today, for we don't stop to appreciate, to ponder...

No comments: