Sunday, April 01, 2007

Negative emotions...

I was asked once, how it is I can still say I love someone who hurt me so badly, and it is true, that when we are hurt the natural inclination is to lock on to the negative, and fixate on the pain. There's nothing so powerful as a negative emotion. But we don't have to do be held captive by these emotions, for in the end it is only ourselves that they hurt, for we become angry, or bitter, or untrusting, while the cause of negative emotion usually goes on about life either not knowing, or caring what they've done to us...

I decided long ago, that I would not be a slave to negative emotions, so when a bad memory was created, stored in my mind, I chose to try and associate with that two good memories, one on either side of that negative memory, so that when bad is recalled, good can be also. I can remind myself that though there was hurt there was also redeeming qualities in the relationship, things I loved, or cherished, so there was value to that time also. In time, though the negative memories remain, the positive ones do also, and allow me to recall and love the good portions, while recognizing the bad so as not to repeat the same mistake again... It is not that I still love one who hurt me in an active manner, one desirous to be reunited, etc. rather it is as a love past, a pleasant memory of the good, to balance the negative, and enable me to move forward positively and not be consumed by the bitterness or negativity. It limits my baggage, and that is good, for it's much easier to travel light!

No comments: