Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Unashamed...

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance, that we all mess up in life, at some time or another, and receiving a little grace, or an unexpected kindness, can perhaps be a catalyst to helping someone turn themselves around. For several years now I've adopted the philosophy of hiring people who, through not-so-good decision-making in their past, might now be considered a "risk", or difficult to employ... Though occassionally I get burned by someone who proves not to merit my trust for the most part I've found solid, reliable, and gratefully loyal employees. Recently I had an experience with one the humbled me.

This particular individual had both drug and alcohol problems in his past, and influenced him into making some poor lifes decisions. Several of those poor decisions landed him in prison. While there he "found Jesus" and came out a different man. I was impressed enough with his humility, and honesty concerning his past, to hire him. In these ensuing weeks I've noticed him emerging from a bit of a shell, and becoming more vocal about his faith. The other day he returned from a customer's and told me that they were "church guys" too. They'd shared a bit and my guy told them he worked for a "church guy" too. For just the briefest of moments I was annoyed by that, that he would be sharing my beliefs with another...

Then I was ashamed of myself, for I realized that he was right and I was wrong. He had found hope, and it was real, and it was saving grace at a time in his life that he'd hit rock bottom. Now, as things were improving and life was looking better he wasn't forgetting that hope that sustained him during those dark hours. He was unashamed of his hope, his faith, and was willing to share it despite what people might think of him. Who was I to care what someone might think of me, especially in light of an eternal perspective: (Luke 12:8-9) "I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God.(NIV)

As I read on Jesus said: "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."(12:15 NIV) It made me realize how our possessions can rob us of our focus of what's really important. Being concerned with what we have often consumes us at the expense of who we are becoming, until we find ourselves being defined by our possessions. What becomes important is what we have, not who we are or know. Possessions trump relationships. Yet what we have could be gone in a heartbeat, leaving us with who we are, and if we've defined our lives by our possessions we are an empty shell. It's no accident that Jesus spoke on the importance of our relationship with him first and possessions second, for that's God's order: Relationships first, possessions second...

As I reflect, I knew someone briefly to whom possessions were important, that the status of what she had defined her very life, her very speech patterns. I recognized quickly the importance of status to her, and the relatively low priority on who I was, who I really am deep inside. It was painfully clear that our relationship would never develop as I wished for I desired depth, a linear relationship of growth, while she desired a much more superficial relationship, for she wasn't defined by who she was, but by what she had and desired, and that is a surface relationship only... Though painful, for I liked her, I realized I would not get the relationship I desired there...

I'm glad my new friend holds onto to his hope, and is there to remind me of the importance of relationships, not possessions, and to acknowledge my Heavenly Father in my life daily...

No comments: