Sunday, December 09, 2012

Communication in Commitment

I wrote what I considered a wonderful blog a bit over a week ago, and being so tech-savvy, I managed to delete it somehow, despite the fact that it is supposed to automatically save itself as I go along. I guess if there's a way to mess it up I'll find it...
The gist of the blog was the importance of remaining committed in our relationships. By that I mean we shouldn't take them for granted. All too often we tend to do just that, forgetting to do the little things, to take initiative to keep our relationships special. We often forget to tell those who are precious to us just how precious they are, or what makes them so special. We somehow expect them to know how wonderful they are without us telling them. And yet, just taking the initiative to drop them a note, or text, or a quick call could make all the difference to them. A couple of weeks ago I texted my daughter a reminder of how incredible she is and that I loved and missed her. A while later I got a response- "You are wonderful.I needed to hear that today. I'm so discouraged and I feel like today has been a day from hell... Your text made me cry in my office..." Sixty seconds or less to send a brief message that completely lifted a day. Isn't it worth our effort?
Communication is so critical in healthy relationships. All too often we expect the other half of our relationship to just "know" what we think or feel. But none of us are mind readers and we need to learn to take initiative to share what is important to us with those who are important to us. So why don't we? Because sharing can make us feel vulnerable. We tend to share with others with the expectation of reciprical sharing. When it doesn't happen we feel vulnerable and withdraw, at least mentally and emotionally. We begin to refuse to put ourselves out there until we get something first. And communication breaks down. And commitment is threatened.
When we learn to overcome the onus of going first, of taking the chance, communication stands the best chance of flourishing, of growing. And our relationships get healthier. Learn to share what is important with those who are important in our lives. Food for thought...

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog