Thursday, December 13, 2012

Connections...

I thought I'd lost this post, but somehow it mysteriuosly returned in my drafts- so here it is!

I was sitting on my couch this past week, watching another exciting episode of Big Bang Theory, and was suddenly overcome with the desire to communicate to my grown children that I loved them. Now they know that already, but all being grown and out on their own, making their own homes and families, it's easy to forget... So I called my son out in Nebraska, and got his voice mail, so I left him a message that I wasn't calling for any particular reason, just wanted to tell him I loved him. Then I called my second son and, of course, got voice mail, aand left him the same message. Knowing my daughter I knew she's notoriously bad at listening to her messages so, being the tech savvy dad that I am, I texted her. I just reminded her how extrordinary she was and that I loved and missed her.

I didn't hear anything for a while, then got a text from my daughter that said she really needed that. she was in the midst of an especially tough week and was really feeling overwhelmed, then my text came and she just went into her office and cried. The next day my second son called and updated me on things and told me he loved me. I never did hear from my son in Nebraska, but I know how busy he is, and I know he loves me... All this made me realize how important staying connected is, how important just a moment of our time and attentions could be to one we love. As families spead farther and farther apart it becomes even more imperative to make those small efforts to stay connected.

It doesn't take much to stay connected. The toughest part is being the instigator, or remembering to act. But the fruits of that action, when fruit is realized, can be so sweet, so fulfilling to the soul.
Instigate. Reach out. Connect. Your relationships will thank you...

Food for thought...

No comments: