Monday, July 04, 2011

Babblings of a grieving man...

It has now been a full week since I lost my pal and I know life goes on, but how incredibly different my house is now that he's gone. I still find myself reaching to pet him, looking before I get up so I don't inadvertantly step on him, waking up numerous times a night searching for him... I've had numerous people express their condolences, and I am grateful, and many who knew Winston have encouraged me to get another "pal", but to all I say no. Winston is irreplacebale. Period. I have never seen a more intellegent, understanding, and completely loving dog in my life like Winston was. There was an occassional dog he might have growled or snapped at when his personal space was violated, but never one time did he growl or snap at a human. He loved all unconditionally. But he loved me most...

I've hated to go to bed at night, because of the difficulty sleeping, but this past Saturday night I entertained two of my nephews (ages 10 & 12 I think). We decided to have a "Lord of the Rings" party and watch the entire trilogy non-stop. (I forgot how long those movies were!) We started about 6 pm Saturday night and finished at 3:30 am Sunday morning. Whew! But what a great time we had, and even more so it was a bit of a break for their parents... Sometimes we all need a break, be it ever so brief, to recharge our batteries... I really appreciated their company and I know they love coming.

so thanks to Graham and Peyton for taking care of your old uncle at a time of vulnerablity in his life. I own you guys another all-nighter!

No comments: